Skip to main content

Greens & Garlic

Growing up I wasn't a picky eater. But I did have a palette of choice - spicy and tangy. Before the 'foreign' greens like broccoli and bok choy took over, my childhood vegetables were what which was quick and easy to make for a working mother. I grew up eating plants with animal names such as muyalcheviyan meaning rabbit's ears. Greens have been powdered and spiced, for example, karivepilapodi to eat along with hot rice, as taste enhancers in the form of curry leaves, bay and coriander. Also in the regular curry and poriyal forms were various types of spinaches ranging from palak to arakerai. As Samwise says in Lord of the Rings, they were boiled and mashed and stuck in a stew. 

Why greens? What did they do to me? I went out to dinner with my colleagues on a weekend, at a Punjabi restaurant. We ordered the regular which was sarson ka saag and makke de roti. The roti was soft and flaky. Dipping those in the dark green saag with garlic tadka and into my mouth. It was a marriage of melodies. I unashamedly licked the bowl clean. We did gorge on chaats, but the green and the garlic were the stars. 

While savouring those, I thought of our hostel mess food - methi aloo. The individual methi leaves were clinging to the soft potatoes. The sweet roasted garlic scattered across was heavenly. And how well they merged with steaming rice and dal. While eating this I was reminded of a colleague cooking for us. In that elaborate meal setting, I was salivating for the methi he made. The soft bits of garlic and the earthy methi were a learning experience on how a simple, humble allium loses itself to the green.

From the privilege that I am in, I say food is beyond what is just needed for survival. They are your childhood memories, your teenage rebellion and the late but old-age realisation. 

Popular posts from this blog

Miss you Labi

My best comrade was my Ladybird or Labi as I call her. Labi accompanied me to school without any morning blues.We went shopping and racing together.She never gave me any trouble,except a loose screw here and there.She carried my burden of school bag as if that was a fallen feather. The time that we spent together gave me bitter-sweet memories.The burst of wind in my face and the panting after a race led me into her world.How can I escape from it now?? But time has come for us to separate.She has retired and decided to rest..but I shall never let her rust...

Parallel Lines

Sitting in the sea facing balcony and seeing the sun set always gave Neena the particular feeling of nostalgia. No matter what, she could never forget her past. It was vividly embossed in her. Such was her life. She never imagined she could see Bombay and she would never even have heard of this land of dreams- Mayapuri, if not for Chako, her husband. Chacko and Neena belonged to the same parish. She met him for the first time on a Easter Sunday. They had an instant connection. He became her bestfriend.  Growing up in an orthodox Christian family in Kerala, with a zamindari father where no one dared to go beyond his words, she had no choice of her own or any women of her family. When she turned 18, her father received proposals for her hand in marriage. It was then for the first time in her life that she spoke against her father. "No", said Neena. Her mother and grandmother stood transfixed. "I am leaving with Chako". With a heavy heart and a silence, she left that p

Caged

It's 10 already! Oh! But how does it matter to me? For I'm Caged. The crowd gazed at me. through their sunglasses. Took selfies. They poke and peer. As the sun goes up, I'm fed as if I am a baby. It's for survival, they said. Smirking at the hypocrisy, I ate my prey. The sun goes down. Oh! But how does it matter to me? for I'm caged.