Skip to main content

Memories & Moments

 

It seems a long time ago that we started our lock down with guess the movie name, guess the song name, guess alcohol name and such quizzes. From there we moved on to group prayers and pass the prayer chains. Now we are at online seminars and webinars, movie releases on online platforms, slowly transitioning into online classes and exams, hoping a new normal.

What has kept me sane during these times have been conversation with my soulmate, PP. The nostalgic and bittersweet conversations always end with us reminiscing over the moments we had together. It comes as a surprise to people when I confess that we have been together only a year, in our 9th grade, and we are still on. You can't but help admire the cosmic coincidences that happen. I thank the stars that made my class teacher (Sindhu miss, my neighbour) in 9th put PP in between me and Rajalakshmi (again my neighbour). She would have probably thought that being neighbours made me and Raju best friends or something. Nothing could have been more wrong. 

Those memories are starting to fade and I am worried that I will lose them. "Write them down somewhere", she told me when both of us expressed the concern. After all these years, it has become difficult for me to say for sure if I was experiencing the things with her or her description of the events made me share the same feelings as being there when the event was taking place. So here comes the rant dedicated to our memories and moments together.

My first memory of PP dates a year back than that. In our 8th, my best friend, Jaya, was in the same class as PP. During a break hour, I met them and I found PP squirming because she was carrying a sanitary napkin for another friend, while she herself wasn't familiar with it. The next thing I knew she was in the class with me the following year. As school in India went, we had to chant a certain set of prayers every day. Normally the class teacher would guide you through it. But in her absence, we had a substitute teacher who happened to be our library teacher. The whole class was lost because we had an exam coming. Without realizing any of it, we were saying the prayers in a continuous loop and none of us cared enough to notice, except one - PP. She noticed and gave out a laugh. I was getting nervous because I didn't want to be punished. I told her to keep it quiet. But she pointed it out to me and then I guess the whole class noticed it because we were chortling. We bonded over that.

I recollect an event where our teachers were going through our bags to check for any prohibited items. It was all cool, until PP unleashed the hell or rather her bag did. I was checking the bag when I saw at the bottom, lay rice grains, I was puzzled as to why she was carrying them. I rummaged through her bag and the next compartment was even more surprising because a cockroach flew out of it. My heart leapt out of my body. We still laugh over this. Another incident with her bag, which PP doesn't remember is one with the tangled wool. We had just finished about chromosomes in our biology class, while in our craft hours, we were making crochet with wool. She had put her wool in the bag in a tangled mess. During the time of the class, our craft teacher was upset with the way she was treating the wool and asked in a very angry tone, "What is it?" and without hesitation, our hero says "It is a chromosome" and laughs. The horror on the teacher's face is still fresh in my memory. She was a pioneer, even before roasting became a trend. She stood up to teachers like this. I remember one incident where she was called to the office. Later I came to know that someone complained to the office about her FB account (back in 2009). She simply told them to call her parents up. Sass!!

It is very common to cook up an answer when you run out of points, but it is another feat when you get appreciated for it. She achieved that. Normally teachers call upon us to punish, but that day was different. Talking about calling to be punished, there were numerous times, we got punished. If one of us was caught, they were sure that the other was responsible. No matter how much you protest. This event is our favourite one. We had an English teacher who wore a scarf around her head. It made her look like a kid in kindergarten. PP made a song about her, parodying a famous song dedicated to snake gods. As she sang, we started catching the rhythm to it. That was when the teacher walked in on us. To indicate the teacher's arrival, I nudged her. She, in her "A.R Rahman" mood thought I was increasing the tempo of the song. Finally, I had to shake her up and when I did, I was asked to come forward with my notes and sit near the teacher's table while the class was going on. And I wasn't going down alone, I was taking PP with me.   

 

 

Popular posts from this blog

Miss you Labi

My best comrade was my Ladybird or Labi as I call her. Labi accompanied me to school without any morning blues.We went shopping and racing together.She never gave me any trouble,except a loose screw here and there.She carried my burden of school bag as if that was a fallen feather. The time that we spent together gave me bitter-sweet memories.The burst of wind in my face and the panting after a race led me into her world.How can I escape from it now?? But time has come for us to separate.She has retired and decided to rest..but I shall never let her rust...

Parallel Lines

Sitting in the sea facing balcony and seeing the sun set always gave Neena the particular feeling of nostalgia. No matter what, she could never forget her past. It was vividly embossed in her. Such was her life. She never imagined she could see Bombay and she would never even have heard of this land of dreams- Mayapuri, if not for Chako, her husband. Chacko and Neena belonged to the same parish. She met him for the first time on a Easter Sunday. They had an instant connection. He became her bestfriend.  Growing up in an orthodox Christian family in Kerala, with a zamindari father where no one dared to go beyond his words, she had no choice of her own or any women of her family. When she turned 18, her father received proposals for her hand in marriage. It was then for the first time in her life that she spoke against her father. "No", said Neena. Her mother and grandmother stood transfixed. "I am leaving with Chako". With a heavy heart and a silence, she left that p

Caged

It's 10 already! Oh! But how does it matter to me? For I'm Caged. The crowd gazed at me. through their sunglasses. Took selfies. They poke and peer. As the sun goes up, I'm fed as if I am a baby. It's for survival, they said. Smirking at the hypocrisy, I ate my prey. The sun goes down. Oh! But how does it matter to me? for I'm caged.