Skip to main content

A day without earphones

Oh shit! Monday is here. The worst day of the week. You invent excuses for not finishing your homework or blame traffic so that you don't have to confess your guilt of oversleeping. It is also the day where we tend to forget a lot of things.

It is a habit of me to collect all my notes, pen drives and another stationaries from my office on Friday night, all in the false hope that I will work over the weekends. But weekends are for late mornings and tough cleanings. Laundry gets done on Saturdays, the expired foods gets thrown on weekends, you hope to de-clutter your house, bring in some fresh air or decide to curl up with your favourite novel on your "spot". Who thinks of work?

You let the Saturday slide into Sunday because "I can finish the work in one day". But you decide not to. As the panic sets in with the setting of the sun, you hurriedly do some work before your dinner, because you know that after dinner time, its sleep time. You keep yourself awake with thumping dance numbers, but Youtube algorithm gives you the lullabies. You sleep on your desk, your stiff neck wakes you up. You find your dining table to work with midnight snacks and Netflix for the company. Before you know it, you have finished a season of "F.R.I.E.N.D.S." and the time is 2 a.m. You decide to do the impossible, "wake up at 7 and finish the work". You never hear the alarms. When the sun hits your eyes, it's 8 already. It is in this hurry-berry that you forget your important things. It may be your pen drive, your charger, your keys, wallet or the earphone.

It happened to me this Monday. I forgot my earphones at my home. I went into anger turned sad and then accepting my fate. And a mental note down, not to abandon my earphone ever again. Now that I can't listen to music or the sizzling of the meat when Ramsay cooks or the Facebook "funny dogs" video. I decided to take it in my stride. At the end of the day, I found that I have finished my ever pending report because I was not taking "breaks" to see Ramsay shouting fucks around the kitchen or that video where people fall and you laugh. I ended up reading news from the online newspaper and not the "news feed".

Yeah, good things happen once in a while. But I am never forgetting my earphones again because I just can't trust my stupid girlfriends to sent me sensible audio messages.
 

Popular posts from this blog

Miss you Labi

My best comrade was my Ladybird or Labi as I call her. Labi accompanied me to school without any morning blues.We went shopping and racing together.She never gave me any trouble,except a loose screw here and there.She carried my burden of school bag as if that was a fallen feather. The time that we spent together gave me bitter-sweet memories.The burst of wind in my face and the panting after a race led me into her world.How can I escape from it now?? But time has come for us to separate.She has retired and decided to rest..but I shall never let her rust...

Parallel Lines

Sitting in the sea facing balcony and seeing the sun set always gave Neena the particular feeling of nostalgia. No matter what, she could never forget her past. It was vividly embossed in her. Such was her life. She never imagined she could see Bombay and she would never even have heard of this land of dreams- Mayapuri, if not for Chako, her husband. Chacko and Neena belonged to the same parish. She met him for the first time on a Easter Sunday. They had an instant connection. He became her bestfriend.  Growing up in an orthodox Christian family in Kerala, with a zamindari father where no one dared to go beyond his words, she had no choice of her own or any women of her family. When she turned 18, her father received proposals for her hand in marriage. It was then for the first time in her life that she spoke against her father. "No", said Neena. Her mother and grandmother stood transfixed. "I am leaving with Chako". With a heavy heart and a silence, she left that p

Caged

It's 10 already! Oh! But how does it matter to me? For I'm Caged. The crowd gazed at me. through their sunglasses. Took selfies. They poke and peer. As the sun goes up, I'm fed as if I am a baby. It's for survival, they said. Smirking at the hypocrisy, I ate my prey. The sun goes down. Oh! But how does it matter to me? for I'm caged.